Right about now you’re probably counting down the weeks and days until your little darlings return to school (5 weeks in our district…but who’s counting?), and unless you ship them off to camp, your kidlets are becoming bored.
You’re also probably a bit concerned about “summer slide”, the annual brain-drain, whereby your children forget a great deal of what they had learned in the previous school year.
How about a 2-in-1 fix for that?
I tried this myself, and in addition to the local nature center, I was very surprised that there were so many activities, shows, exhibits around me – all kid-friendly!
You can easily search by science subject/age/distance/type of destination
And of course, one of the destinations that showed up was the Liberty Science Center itself!
Science Experiences throughout NJ
web application created by Liberty Science Center.
want to travel, choose their favorite topics and get going! What might they
– Dazzling displays of fluorescent minerals and opportunities to collect fossils at the Sterling Hill Mining Museum (Ogdensburg)
– Astronaut-in-training opportunities at the Buehler Challenger &
Science Center (Paramus)
– Packs of tundra, timber, and arctic wolves at the Lakota Wolf Preserve
– 10,000 species of seashells at the Discovery Seashell Museum (Ocean City)
– Thomas Edison’s laboratory complex and 29-room mansion at the Edison National Historic Site (West Orange)
– Aircraft displays and interactive exhibits at the Naval Air Station
Wildwood Aviation Museum (Wildwood)
– Far-reaching environmental education opportunities provided by the New Jersey Audubon Society (multiple locations)
– Animals from around the globe at America’s most touchable aquarium,
the Adventure Aquarium (Camden)
– Knowledgeable naturalists like the staff at Warren E. Fox Center
– Eight galleries with hundreds of exhibits, live science, and the nation’s largest IMAX Dome Theater at Liberty Science Center (Jersey City)
– Hundreds of other opportunities at museums, libraries, nature centers, summer camps, lighthouses, parks, and more!
Generously supported by a grant from the Overdeck Family Foundation, the
site is free of charge. Liberty Science Center hopes Science Near You will
help connect more NJ families with all of the great science-rich experiences offered throughout the state.